Monday, February 14, 2011

Panti :: 13th Feb 2011

It has been the norm for me in Panti that if a Trogon is sighted on arrival in the morning, it is likely that i would get to see many more for the day. 

The Diard's Trogon was sighted again, (ahem..) in the morning, but I wasn't very keen at it as i was very much attracted by the loud calls of the Moustached Babbler which filled the air around the same spot. A quick blast on my X-minis I saw at least 10 Moustached Babbler popping out of the bush! A bit unusual as I always see one individual.


Moustached Babbler (Malacopteron magnirostre)
Rimba Bermisai * 须树鹛 * ヒゲチャイロチメドリ
Akalat moustachududroš fúzatýนกกินแมลงหัวสีน้ำตาล


But I guess I am too old for the Babblers, they were quick and hardly perch still, all I have got was just one shot, and while searching for them along the main bunker trail hoping to sight one tired or old babbler that perch still, accidentally I saw this sub-adult Red-naped Trogon just 5-6'' in front of me, likely to be responding to the perpetual calls of the Diard's across the road

Red-naped Trogon (Harpactes kasumba)
Kesumba Tengkuk Merah * 枕咬 アカエリキヌバネドリ
rogon à nuque rouge dravcík kasumbaКраснозатылочный Трогонนกขุนแผนท้ายทอยแดง


So I abandoned the babblers quickly because I have never seen a subadult RNT before! Mins later, the adult female (presumably the mom!) made a quick appearance followed by an adult male ( Dad i think! ). The female was shy as it stay on guard and watch at around 50m deep in the foliage. The adult RNT made a surprise perch on a branch overhanging the trail.


So I was surrounded by 4 Trogons! And just a week ago when I brought along a friend  who wanted to snap some pics of Trogon there was none, around the same spot.


Scarlet-rumped Trogon 
(Harpactes duvaucelii)

Kesumba Puteri * 腰咬*  コシアカキヌバネドリ
Trogon de Duvaucel

dravcík malý * 
Красноспинный Трогон
นกขุนแผนตะโพกแดง

I took a 1km walk around the 2nd YSB location with my setup and sighted a subadult Scarlet-rumped Trogon, ok so five trogons were sighted and I tell myself if another one turn up i promised not to take a look even though if it perches around my nose!

The greatest surprise of the day was the sighting of Rufous-collared Kingfisher. They usually appear around April-May. By then you could hear its call on several locations along the trail.


Rufous-collared Kingfisher (Actenoides concretus) male
Pekaka Rimba Besa * 栗领翡翠アオヒゲショウビン
Martin-chasseur trapurybárikovec zelenohlavýนกกะเต็นสร้อยคอสีน้ำตาล

If I could remember correctly, a total of 5 Yellow-rumped Flycatchers were spotted since august last year but none had stayed at the same spot for more than a week, except a male on a fruiting tree after the 1st stream.

So it was delightful for me to see a male YRFC not far off from same spot again and 2 hours were spent with it before heading home! A lot of patience is needed to get a decent shot as its size is small and with a fullframe dslr I have to shoot at min focus distance of 10', so much time was spent waiting for it to perch in front of the cam then to endlessly going after for it, which usually send it to perch high.




Yellow-rumped Flycatcher (Ficedula zanthopygia),
Sambar Belakang Kuning * 白眉姬 * マミジロキビタキ Đớp ruồi vàng
Gobemouche à croupion jaunemuchárik zlatý *  Мухоловка даурская желтоспинная
นกจับแมลงตะโพกเหลือง

I was wondering why the orange patch on its chest and according to 
Craig Robson's SEA Bird Guide, it is a male(Spring).




On my way out, another SRT was sighted on a super clean branch 2' above ground but I didn't stop not bacause I had promised, but I was late for a CNY dinner! :(


Other shots ::
Spectacled Bulbul

8 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,
    Wow, all these birds on one trip.Panti is really a great place for birds.
    Went to Bukit Tinggi on Sunday specifically for the Siberian Thrush after seeing your photos. Disappointed to learn that they have not been sighted the last 4-5 days. Anyway great shots, always enjoy your postings.
    madi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post. Thanks for sharing. Panti is a real hotspot for birding. Must make it a point to visit there if I ever have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,
    RCKF is killing me.
    Looking forward to your post in PM forum.

    BENCYF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your posting. Enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another excellent collection from Panti, what a great place for birding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. surrounded by 4 trogons...what else can one ask on a birding day ? Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete